Wednesday 15 August 2018

Why I want to talk about this book... but can't


[Full disclosure from captain obvious: in the white bit there, it says 'To white people'.]


Okay folks, I know this is going to be tough. I'm not smart enough, well-read enough, or even qualified to give you a solid review of the book's contents - you should probably know this up front. So I think I'll keep this quite brief, and talk about why I think you should read Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge.

To give you a brief overview of what it is: it is a discussion about racism, racial bias and the history of prejudice in the United Kingdom. In brief essays, Reni discusses vital, timely topics and sheds light on parts of history that even many born-and-bred Britons won't know about. She then lifts the flap on structural racism - in our workplaces, our personal lives, aspects of our brains we don't or won't admit to - as well as the pitfalls of today's feminist movement. 

What did I like about it?

From page one, it is clear that Reni has done the research. And to write a book like this, not only do you need research, but also guts - because it's an extremely sensitive and difficult subject. As she so often points out in the book, we prefer to pretend we're colour-blind and to not discuss racism if at all possible. But what she is trying to say in this book is that it isn't.

She is smart and confident and is conveying a message that I've never come across before so clearly. I can only speak from the very little personal experience I have, but to me, her arguments and her facts were true eye-openers. Before I read her book, I've never considered race the way I do now, taking into account histories, different perspectives and experiences. She doesn't want us to feel guilty though - guilt is pointless. What she wants is for us to get angry and do something about it.

It is simply fascinating, and it left me feeling like I learnt something truly valuable. Not only that, but it left me asking questions. As a white reader, I had to think long and hard about my own history and how Reni is proposing I proceed from here. My reactions were often the same as those white people's she describes in the book - often guilt or reproach. But she'd immediately proceed with telling me to ignore my guilt - so then I'd feel guilty of feeling guilty. It is not a simple thought process. But the fact I'm asking myself (and the world) questions is a clear sign that I am trying to process the message - and if other readers do as I do, perhaps this book can have a genuine effect on the way we approach racism in the UK.


What was I not massively fond of?

On a few occasions, I felt that the structuring of her essays could have used just a little extra work, mainly due to occasionally rejecting linear timelines and instead jumping back and forth between events or publications. There is a possibility that it advanced the message better this way - but as a reader I felt chronological order would have maybe been better.

Sometimes I also went back to re-read passages to understand whose point of view we were observing more closely. I lost the thread on occasion, despite her very clean writing. This might be my fault though for not reading enough commentary and non-fiction (I'm working on it!).

Overall...

I was reluctant to write a review of this book because, as I say above, I am still processing. It is so much new information for me (which shouldn't be new), and especially as someone who wasn't born in the UK. It gave me a glimpse into British colonial history and slavery, introduced me to intersectionality and has helped me notice huge gaps that I didn't see before.

WINLTTWPAR did for me through non-fiction what Octavia Butler's Kindred did through fiction (and if you haven't read that, I would absolutely recommend that you do). For those living in a dream world, isolated from the problems of prejudice, this book is a wake-up call and a glimpse into what we cannot see. It's shocking, terrifying, amazing and simply brilliant.

PS. Extra points for one of the best explanations of racism I've ever heard, which at one point Reni defines as prejudice plus power.

9/10


2 comments:

  1. You're spot on ❤️ A book like this is difficult (in the good way): difficult to write, difficult to read, difficult to talk about... because it's an effing difficult issue. I applaud Reni, and I will never stop - she has shown incredible bravery and done some amazing work. I'm kind of on the fence about the title - I (and almost everyone I know) think it's brilliant, but I worry that it means the people who MOST NEED TO READ THIS BOOK will have a preconcieved idea and actively avoid it. That's what seems to be playing out, and it's a damn shame. Still, thank you for this very considered review, and big back slaps to you for starting your own work on this too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the title - it's quite provocative. But I guess desperate times, desperate measures... I'm glad you liked it as much as I did. For me it was a whole new lesson, extremely educational!

      Delete

Thoughts?