Thursday 12 July 2018

Michael Rutger stole my weekend



It took some time to figure out who I should name as author for this book. After some Googling, I can happily share that Rutger is indeed the newest writing name of Michael Marshall (or Smith), 'as part of a long-term goal to eventually become every author with the first name "Michael"' as he himself declares. I'm behind you, Michael.

I was recently sent a copy of The Anomaly, which is the author's newest book, due out in August in the UK. I wasn't familiar with Michael's work before and the proof copy came to me out of coincidence - but I was rather glad we found each other. After finishing it in two sittings (six hours on Saturday, six hours on Sunday) I had a look at some of his other works, and seeing as I really enjoyed his writing style, I think I will be looking at further books from all his alteregos.

The plot concerns Nolan Moore, star and host of the Anomaly Files, a YouTube channel with videos about unanswered questions, conspiracies, phenomena and the likes of. His newest idea takes him and the crew to the Grand Canyon, seeking a hitherto undiscovered cave that is only mentioned in archival material. Though, of course, when they finally discover the cave, they get a bit more than they bargained for.

What did I like about it?

Oh man, where do I begin? First of all, Michael's writing just flows off the page. This is a real page-turner, written almost like a tv series. Each chapter leaves you desperately wanting to read just one more chapter, just a little bit more (see my example of spending the entire weekend on the balcony, only getting up to make tea).

Although his characters are definitely not real world-realistic, they're fiction-realistic: that is to say, they fulfil their roles in the story perfectly. The chubby, funny guy; the smart, sarcastic girl; the innocent, always happy girl; the handsome young guy who we obviously envisage with just right muscles. And of course, Nolan: smart, confident but humble, our guide and best viewpoint for the story. He's a bit reminiscent of Robert Langdon, but the sticker on the cover already told you that...

The plot is gripping, too. From the beginning you have a hunch about where we're heading - up to a point at least - but the suspense is great. You read on, dreading. I'm not claustrophobic, but I still had to keep looking up at the sun to soak up a bit of light before plunging back (a good 60% of the book plays out in near-total darkness - obvs).

What was I not massively fond of?

A biggie is that it takes about half the book before sh*t gets real. There's only so long you can spend waiting for the big 'un to happen, but fortunately Michael finally brings it on us just when we're about to lose hope it's actually coming. So, he saves it, but I feel like it could have happened slightly earlier.

I also find that after all that suspense, I was waiting for something absolutely horrific to happen. Something terrifying from the other side. Blood and tears. Sorry, but if I'm going to be scared, I want to be really scared. And it is scary and weird, don't get me wrong! (It's so hard to write about this without spoilers.) But there were bits that just fell a bit flat for me, and bits that were just a bit funny. Also bits that will probably look super cool in the film adaptation, but I just had trouble imagining it as scary.

And finally, here too: the ending. The ending feels rushed. Compared to the massive build-up, the ending feels a bit quick, a bit out of pace with the rest of the book. It is solved quite simply. I would have liked some more smart twists here, seeing as the anomaly that the team finds is actually quite fascinating and complicated. I think the ending would have benefited from something similar.

Overall...

If you like your sci-fi intertwined with a bit of horror and a bit of knowledge, you will definitely love this. (Did I just describe the Da Vinci Code?) But also if you like a captivating read and don't mind a bit of gore.

The book strongly reminded me of several things: Cabin in the Woods, The Descent, Indiana Jones, and National Treasure are a few examples. (Forgive the film references, but I actually haven't read much in this field. Except for the Da Vinci Code.)

Keep an eye out especially for a scene involving our witty journalist, some water and some consequences. That one got me good.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?