Sunday 15 July 2018

My first encounter with Ian McEwan



I've read quite a few reviews of The Children Act by Ian McEwan before jumping into writing my own. I feel mine here may be a little more amateurish or impartial as I haven't read him before, even though I have intended to do so for a long time now - not to mention the fact I actually read this book in Hungarian (classic case of not taking enough books on holiday with me, then stealing what is available from my dad).

The Children Act tells the story of High Court judge Fiona Maye, living in a lavish apartment in London (was I the only one not aware that High Court judges get given lavish apartments? Time for a change in career maybe) dealing with a two-fold crisis in her life. One is personal, one is work-related, but both weigh in equally on the development of the story. While at home her marriage suffers a blow due to her husband, Jack, deciding to embark on what he calls one final affair, at work Fiona is dealing with a particularly sensitive case of a young Jehovah's Witness - 17 years of age - who is refusing blood transfusion to help treat his leukaemia. As both situations develop, Fiona has to say good bye to an old world order she has relied on for years.

What did I like about it?

First of all, the research. According to this Guardian review, McEwan does tend to have a fascination with "the great institutionalised authorities", in the past dealing with protagonists from the medical profession or a research scientist, but he has a way of getting the reader tangled up in it too. I found it amazing to be learning about the ins and outs of such a mystical, secretive profession, and didn't for a second feel like it was forced or made up. Clearly, the author has carried out extensive research, and it gives a steady leg for the novel to stand on.

Then, the humanity. This is literary fiction at its best. Fiona is an extremely human character, travelling on the spectrum of strong and stable to when emotions get in the mix. Choosing a judge as a main character, I believe, is completely justified here as although they make life-defining decisions on a daily basis (three or four times a day easily, it seems), at home they are just as fallible as any of us.

Another highlight is the language. As I mentioned, I read this in Hunagrian, but McEwan's readable, clear and strong sentences complete the success of the book. It's clear he has a particular writing style and tone of voice, which probably comes across in any language the book is translated into - and I cannot wait to read one of his works in English too to confirm this.

One final point I have to make here is how much I was amazed by the author's ability to make connections between occurrences and consequences. Fiona's work is clearly having an effect on her personal life, and as the novel proceeds, it becomes harder for her to separate the two. The effects become clearer and the nuance with which they seep into Fiona's mind and soul is subtle, yet incredibly powerful. I absolutely loved this.


What was I not massively fond of?

This is a tough one, but if I had to point just one thing out, it is perhaps Adam, the young Jehovah's Witness. I felt that some of his moves, some of his words were just a little over the top. Fiona's character is subtle and is more shown than told; McEwan tries to show us Adam too, but I felt it came across a bit forced. I know he is only 18, and 18-year-olds are still young and over-excited; but I felt he had so much more potential than was given, and the letters he sends Fiona later on in the novel betray the maturity that is being emphasised about his character.

The Telegraph also argued that religion isn't given a fair chance in the book - although I felt that, due to observing the story from Fiona's viewpoint, perhaps this was intentional. Have a read of this two-star review, see what you think.

Overall...

I don't know how The Children Act compares to McEwan's other works - my grandparents are constantly talking about Nutshell - but I'd say that, as a first read from him, he has me hooked.

There is no doubt that Ian McEwan is a great of contemporary literary fiction (and realism, according to the Guardian), and I am glad I finally came around to reading him. I would recommend this book whole-heartedly: it is incredibly sad, powerful and nuanced, and an example of what a good novel can achieve (make you cry, for example).

9/10

1 comment:

  1. thak you Iam glad you read and liked it.A great book and a great author.Have some more😆

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?